We have been leading the fight to protect Californians from the tobacco industry for more than 30 years. Because we deserve healthy lives, lower healthcare costs, tobacco-free communities, and an environment free of the tobacco industry’s toxic waste. And kids should grow up without the tobacco industry poisoning their childhood.1
Every day, we work to undo the tobacco industry’s damage and restore every Californian’s right to health and wellness.
We’ve been holding the tobacco industry accountable for over 30 years
local policies passed to protect Californians from the tobacco industry’s damage.2
over 30 years kept out of the tobacco industry’s pockets.6
fewer packs of cigarettes sold in the past 30 years.7
1 million +
saved in healthcare costs.9
in lung and bronchial cancer rates in California.10
One of the real insights that UNDO had from the beginning was that smoking is a socially constructed behavior … Baseball cards were invented by the cigarette companies. They wanted to associate tobacco with sports and just normalize it.
Because of the way the tobacco industry has targeted certain populations, UNDO has been very clear that it does not want to leave any group behind.
I refuse to accept the idea that these products are with us forever.
If nobody is smoking, we won’t have jobs anymore. And that will be a wonderful tradeoff.
- American Nonsmokers Rights Foundation. U.S. Tobacco Control Laws Database. no-smoke.org. https://no-smoke.org/materials-services/lists-maps/. Accessed March 3, 2022.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Surgeon General. Surgeon General Priority: Tobacco. hhs.gov. https://www.hhs.gov/surgeongeneral/priorities/tobacco/index.html. Reviewed May 14, 2019. Accessed March 23, 2022.
- California Cancer Registry 1989 vs California Cancer Registry 2017. https://cancer-rates.info/ca/.
- Governor Newsom Signs Legislation Making California First in the Nation to Ban Toxic Chemicals in Cosmetics [press release]. gov.ca.gov. https://www.gov.ca.gov/2020/09/30/governor-newsom-signs-legislation-making-california-first-in-the-nation-to-ban-toxic-chemicals-in-cosmetics/. Published September 30, 2020. Accessed March 23, 2022.
- Landmark California law bans 'forever chemicals' in products for infants, children [press release]. ewg.org. https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news-release/2021/10/landmark-california-law-bans-forever-chemicals-products-infants. Published October 5, 2021. Accessed March 23, 2022.