The Little Big Lie
Flavors Hook Kids
“I was 13 the first time I vaped ... a lot of people post on their Snapchat stories or on Instagram of them vaping.”
Tobacco industry’s damage
Who we are
As a California Department of Public Health program, we’ve been taking on the tobacco industry since 1988. We work to undo the tobacco industry’s influence, protect the environment, and have saved the lives of more than 1 million Californians – and counting.
In the news
- OpenSecrets. Industry Profile: Tobacco. Opensecrets.org. https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-lobbying/industries/summary?cycle=2021&id=A02. Accessed March 16, 2022.
- RJ Reynolds. Younger Adult Smokers: Strategies and Opportunities. https://www.industrydocuments.ucsf.edu/docs/rkvk0045. 1984 February 29.
- Break Free From Plastic. Branded Vol. III: Demanding corporate accountability for plastic pollution. 2020.
- Governor Newsom Signs Legislation Making California First in the Nation to Ban Toxic Chemicals in Cosmetics [press release]. gov.ca.gov. https://www.gov.ca.gov/2020/09/30/governor-newsom-signs-legislation-making-california-first-in-the-nation-to-ban-toxic-chemicals-in-cosmetics/. Published September 30, 2020. Accessed March 23, 2022.
- Landmark California law bans 'forever chemicals' in products for infants, children [press release]. ewg.org. https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news-release/2021/10/landmark-california-law-bans-forever-chemicals-products-infants. Published October 5, 2021. Accessed March 23, 2022.